A delightful old diamond engagement ring, dating from about 1920, which rises in the classic "cathedral" engagement ring style to a height of 6.2 mm. from the finger. On each shoulder is an open heart motif displaying three leaves with millegrain detail. It tapers from 8.9 mm. wide across the top to a slender half-round shank.
In a hexagonal plate, it is mounted with an old European cut diamond, weighing about 0.90 carat, having approximate L color and VS2 clarity. It has a few minute to minor chips and two very small feathers at the girdle. The small table, high crown and large culet are typical of a diamond of this age, as is the "fire" (dispersion), while the overall depth of 60.3% gives it more brilliance than is often seen in older cutting styles.
The piece is die-struck and acid-tests as 18-karat white gold, both common in the 1920s. Die-striking increases the strength of gold, and the openwork design on the shoulders is well-preserved. The walls at the north-south positions are thinning, with one small break on each side. On the inside of one wall, there is a solder repair.
This ring has the patina that is usually seen on vintage pieces that have not been refinished. This piece is in overall very good condition, and minor repairs can improve it further. It is ordinary today that white gold is rhodium-plated; doing so with this ring would bring it to a bright white, shiny surface. Finger size is small at 4 1/2 and can be sized one to two sizes larger without difficulty.
12 other shoppers are interested in this item
An Estate Jewelry Consignment Shop
On the Shore of the Estate Jewelry Ocean