Out with the old, in with the new! Did your dad get a new necktie for Father’s Day? Repurpose an old tie by turning it into a case for his eyeglasses!
You will need:
– one necktie
– seam ripper
– self-adhesive Velcro
– needle and thread
1. Lay the necktie flat with the backside facing up. Measure and mark 17 inches in from the pointed tip, then cut the tie widthwise. Discard the narrow end of the tie.
2. Most ties have a center seam. Using a seam ripper, remove the stitching along the back of the tie at least six inches, to create a pouch for the glasses. If the tie has a label, remove it now too.
3. Measure eight inches in from the cut end and mark. Fold the tie at the mark toward the pointed tip. Tuck under 1/2 inch of cut edge and pin.
4. Using tiny whip-stitches along the top and sides, hand-sew the folded-over portion of tie to only the top layer of fabric beneath it (making sure to also turn under any padding within the tie). Be careful not to sew the pouch closed!
5. Fold the tip of the tie over to make a flap. Finish by affixing a set of self-adhesive Velcro dots to keep the case closed.
clockwise from top center:
5. grey paisley
*inspiration image from countryliving.com