It’s time to deck out those dollies in red, white, and blue finery for the 4th of July! Display them with American and State flags, Eagle figurines, red, white, and blue potted mums, framed collections of election buttons, Bicentennial souvenirs, and Lincoln and Washington memorabilia.
Here are some collectors patriotic doll favorites:
1. Uncle Sam by Dressel, c. 1895. This German Figure is the spitting image of Uncle Sam himself. Uncle Sam in original condition wears red striped slacks, a dark blue waistcoat with a star like design, blue coat, and a top hat. He has an applied white beard and white hair, as well as inset glass eyes. Other German bisque dolly-faced dolls, including one by Armand Marseilles, also wear similar patriotic Uncle Sam Outfits. Uncle Sam appears as a celluloid doll, and in one case, is carved out of soap.
2. Freundlich has long been known for composition dolls representing members of the armed forces, including WACs and General Douglas McArthur himself. Other composition dolls represent World War I doughboys and nurses.
3. Other antique dolls wear patriotic attire, including papier mache and china head dolls made to be used as pincushions. These and other dolls were often made to be sold at Sanitary Fairs to aid Civil War efforts of both North and South. The Lincoln children played with one of these dolls, a soldier they called “Jack.” Jack was often tried, and executed, and buried in The White House Rose Garden until the gardener complained to President Lincoln. To restore peace and the rose garden, the President issued Jack a presidential pardon.
4. Papier Dolls Those who collect papier dolls can choose from rare antique examples, World War I and II soldiers, and vintage sets by Tom Tierney and other artists. Tiny celluloid and hard plastic Irwin babies are often dressed in patriotic outfits made from crepe paper.
5. Presidential Themed Dolls: Many papier mache dolls sport patriotic themes and outfits, including candy boxes of George Washington astride his horse. Some are also automatons. Cloth dolls, some ethnic, also can wear red, white, and blue clothing. Plush dolls and toys represent Eagles, donkeys, elements, teddy bears, and more. A lot of them are made in red, white, and blue plush. Steiff makes beautiful examples.
We would love to hear from you Write us at email@example.com