Inez Storer (American, b.1933)painting, "Flying Bird" 1965, Acrylic on canvas 24" x 24" Signed, "Storer" Artist-made redwood frame Identified on frame reverse with artist's information, date, and painting title.
For your consideration, a painting by the Bay Area painter Inez Storer (b.1933). The work is entitled "Flying Bird" and was painted in 1965. The painting measures 24" x 24" and in excellent vintage condition with no tears or loss of paint. The colors and paint treatment reflect very strongly those of the Bay Area abstract expression school. There is much motion, as well as a feeling of tension, in the abstracted figure of the bird and the hint of political activism, as seen in the "peace sign" motif of the fence. The painting has a wonderful presence; at once both calm and energized.
Inez Storer studied at the San Francisco College for Women, the San Francisco Art Institute and the University of California at Berkeley. In the 1950s, she lived in North Beach and hung around the Beatnik scene. She married her first husband in 1960, and had four children . She was divorced and took a bachelor's degree at Dominican College in San Rafael and in 1971, a graduate degree in at California State University in San Francisco. She also taught art and made assemblages and collages.
In 1974, she met Andrew Romanoff, a Russian artist who became her husband. In this marriage, she became a part of Russian royalty because Andrew was the grand nephew of the Czar Nicholas II, Russia's last emperor who, along with his family, was executed. Because of this new dimension to her life, Storer's artwork embodies Russian political themes as well as other political, religious, and personal expressions. Storer has pursued her own uniquely personal and idiosyncratic style of figuration, despite periods in which abstraction remained the prevalent avant-garde style. Storer's delightfully accessible works are both formally satisfying and rich in content, addressing universal themes of identity, spirituality, imagination, and history.
* Born1933,Santa Monica, CA
* California State University, San Francisco, CA, M.A. * Dominican College, San Rafael, CA, B.A. * San Francisco College for Women, San Francisco, CA * University of California, Berkeley, CA * San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, CA * Art Center, Los Angeles, CA
SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS
* Grover Thurston Gallery, Seattle, WA
* Sue Greenwood Fine Art, Laguna Beach, CA * Anne Reed Gallery, Ketchum, ID * Missoula Museum of Art, Missoula, MT
* "New Work" Grover/Thurston Gallery, Seattle, WA * Sanchez Art Center, Pacifica, CA * Finn Center, Mountain View, CA * "Intimate Realities", Nathan Larramendy Gallery, Ojai, CA * Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, LA * Anne Reed Gallery, Ketchum, ID * National Museum of Jewish American History, Philadelphia, PA
* "Theatrical Realism: The Art of Inez Storer" de Saisset Museum, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA * "An Artist's Artist: The Legacy of Inez Storer" San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art, San Jose, CA * "Encore Narratives," Villa Montalvo, Saratoga, CA * "Layers of Secrets", Bolinas Museum, Bolinas, CA * Dennis Morgan Museum, Kansas City, MO
* "The Empress Never Left Her Rooms Before Noon" Catherine Clark Gallery, San Francisco, CA * Snyderman Gallery, Philadelphia, PA * "Lies/Fantasies" Grover/Thurston Gallery, Seattle, WA * "Startling Disclosures" Jack Meier Gallery, Houston, TX
* Grover/Thurston Gallery, Seattle, WA * Tippy Stern Gallery, Charleston, SC
* "The Voyage of Your Dreams", Catherine Clark Gallery, San Francisco, CA * Snyderman Gallery, Philadelphia, PA * "Implied Histories" Jack Meier Gallery, Houston, TX
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
* Sue Greenwood Fine Art, Laguna Beach, CA
* "Paint on Metal: Modern and Contemporary Explorations and Discoveries" Tucson Museum of Art, AZ * "Painted Ladies" William Cannon Art Gallery, Carlsbad Cultural Art Center
* "It's About Time: Celebrating 35 Years", San Jose Museum of Art, CA * "The True Artist is an Amazing Luminous Fountain" di Rosa Preserve: Art & Nature, Napa, CA * Sanchez Art Center, Pacifica, CA
* "The SFMOMA Artist Gallery 25th Anniversary Exhibition" The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art * "Road Trip", Nathan Larramendy Gallery, Ojai, CA * "Au Naturel" di Rosa Preserve: Art & Nature / Off the Preserve! Napa, CA * "Monotype Marathon" San Jose Institute for Contemporary Art, San Jose, CA * "The Legacy Show" San Jose Institute for Contemporary Art, San Jose, CA * MOMA Artist Gallery, San Francisco, CA * "18th Annual Hospitality House Art Auction" Dolby Chadwick Gallery, San Francisco * "Cut, Copy, Paste: The Art of Contemporary Collage, De Saisset Museum, Santa Clara, CA * "San Francisco International Art Exposition" with Catherine Clark Gallery, San Francisco, CA
* University of California Berkeley Art Alumni Group Exhibit, CA * "To Kiss the Spirits" Artemesia Gallery, Chicago, IL * "Individual Artist Granters" Falkirk Gallery, San Rafael, CA * "Art Chicago" with Catherine Clark Gallery, Navy Pier, Chicago, IL * "Trillium Press: Past, Present and Future" Kala Art Institute, Berkeley, CA * "Elder Arts" Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco, CA * "San Francisco International Art Exposition" with Catherine Clark Gallery, San Francisco, CA
* "Reconstructing Reality" Oakland Art Gallery, Oakland, CA * "Unsung Heroes" ArtWorks Gallery, San Rafael * "Collecting Our Thoughts: The Community Responds to Art and Our Permanent Collection" San Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, CA * "Art Chicago" with Catherine Clark Gallery, Navy Pier, Chicago, IL * 10th Anniversary Exhbition, Catherine Clark Gallery, San Francisco, * "Contemporary Devotion" San Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, CA
* "Retablos and San Francisco Drawings, Catherine Clark Gallery, San Francisco * "San Francisco International Art Expo" with Catherine Clark Gallery, San Francisco * Walnut Street Gallery, Springfield, MO * Nightingale Gallery, Water Mill, NY * "The Art of Collaborative Printmaking, Smith Andersen Editions" Haggerty Museum of Art, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
1981 - 99
* San Francisco Art Institute, CA (Faculty)
1976 - 88
* Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA
* UC Davis, CA (Visiting Faculty)
* UC Santa Cruz, CA (Visiting Faculty)
1970 - 73
* California State University, San Francisco, CA
1968 - 79
* College of Marin, Kentfield, CA
* Campbell, Rob, "A Year In Review," Nathan Larramendy Gallery * Nichols, Tucker, "Artist at Work: Inez Storer," Art Contemporaries, summer * Van Proyen, Mark, "Inez Storer at the De Saisset Museum," Art in America, October * Fallon, Roberta, "Secrets and Lives," Philadelphia Weekly, Philadelphia, PA, April 28 * Sozanski, Ed, "Identity and Inner Struggle on Canvas," Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA, March 26 * "Dear Diary, I'm Jewish," Philadelphia Inquirer, (Weekend Section), May 21, (author unknown)
2 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List.