Up for your consideration, a signed rare Win Ng enamel on copper bowl, in excellent condition (no chips or signs of wear) from 1971. This exceptional bowl measures 5 5/8" in diameter and is ¾" deep, weighs approx 8 oz. and is signed "WinNg" "5-71" "SB4-13" with original period stand 6 5/8" x 5". The workmanship and design aesthetics of this enamel on copper bowl is of the first order; the colors are bright and "modernist". The second son of Chinese immigrants Fook On Ng and Kow Yuan Ng, Winfred Ng was born in San Francisco in 1936. While attending junior high school between 1948 and 1950, he worked as a "clean up boy" in the studio of Jade Snow Wong. It was there that he developed his lifelong passion for ceramics and enameling. After completing high school in 1954, he was drafted into the U.S. Army and served for two years in France. Upon completing his tour of duty in 1956, he returned to San Francisco and studied at San Francisco City College and San Francisco State University. In 1958 he studied ceramics at the California School of Fine Arts, where he was awarded his bachelor of fine arts degree in 1959. Later that year he pursued graduate studies in ceramics at Mills College in Oakland. A versatile artist working in both ceramics and enameling, Ng received national attention for his work at a remarkably early age. In 1957, when he was only twenty-one, an enamel bowl with fish motif was accepted for the prestigious Decorative Arts and Ceramics Exhibition at the Wichita Art Association. One of the jurors that year was the ceramist Antonio Prieto, with whom Ng later studied at Mills. Undoubtedly Prieto recognized great talent in the work of the promising young artist. Ng entered two enamels in the 1958 exhibition in Wichita and two examples of his ceramic sculpture in the 1959 show. He also submitted ceramic sculptures to the Wichita exhibitions in 1961 and 1962. He received national attention again in 1961, when he was awarded a purchase prize for his ceramic sculpture in the Twenty-first Ceramic National at the Syracuse Museum of Fine Arts.