Vintage colorized and pewter lidded high relief stoneware pottery German beer stein by Thewalt with a center pane depicting a Tyrolean couple, named the "Loving Couple" on the front, two colorful castles within panes, one on each side, with the bulbous area featuring angelic faces with blue wings, a large bird, flowers and the saying, "O' schöne Zeit, du Zeit der Liebe" roughly translates to "Oh beautiful time, oh time of love".
The colorized high relief stoneware pottery body of this vintage Thewalt German beer stein has no damage whatsoever - no chips, no cracks, no crazing and no fading of the colors. The pewter lid does have some very light surface nicks and scratches from storage or use. After listing this, we do note one tiny 1/10" chip in the back of the base which, because of the paint, seems to have been there since the manufacturing, and therefore, is not a defect or damage.
This stein was reproduced circa 1980 from the original 1894 mold at which time the manufacturer's name for the design was changed from "Loving Couple" to "Farewell". This vintage pottery stoneware Thewalt German beer stein holds 0.5 Litres and has an ornate pewter stein lid with a decorative thumblift.
If you've ever visited Burg Grenzau, you should immediately recognize this stein. This character stein is a representation of the unique triangular tower of Burg Grenzau, the only castle and famous tower of this shape in Europe. The firm of Albert Jacob Thewalt produced a series of steins circa 1970-1985 featuring an image of the Burg Grenzau and its tower with the words "Grenzau 1894" or "Alt-Grenzau 1894" below that mark. (While the Thewalt firm was founded in 1893, production did not begin until 1894.) This mark generally appears in combination with the Thewalt trademark, and was used on reproductions of steins designed by Wilhelm Kamp (1879-1953). Herr Kamp was employed by Thewalt from 1897 (the year the firm began producing steins) to 1914, designing nearly 800 steins, most of which were based on paintings by Tyrolean artist Franz von Defregger (1835-1921).
Albert Jacob Thewalt was born on August 5, 1857, died November 29, 1939, was a co-founder of Paulus & Thewalt in 1882 together with Jean Paulus, who became his brother in law in 1883. On July 1, 1894, he left to begin his own company. Wilhelm Kamp designed the first stein in 1897. Stein production finally ceased on October 31, 2009. However in January 2011, the right to manufacture, using certain selected Thewalt moulds, was sold to King-Werk. These steins are being produced, using the traditional methods and materials in limited editions of 2500 and are marked "Thewalt 1893" & "Made in Germany".
This fine and collectible Thewalt German lidded beer stein measures 8-1/4" tall to the top of the stein thumblift, 7-3/4" to the top of the stein lid, 7" tall to the lip of the stein, 3-1/4" diameter at the stein lip, 3-1/4" at the base, 4-1/2" diameter at the widest part of the body of the stein, 5" from the outside edge of the stein handle to the outside edge of the stein body - not including the bulbous area, weighs 1 pound, 13.6 ounces and is incised on the base with the Thewalt logo or mark, ORIGINAL THEWALT, a castle logo with ALT-GRENZAU 1894, MADE IN WEST GERMANY, an incised number 6 and under the stein handle is incised the mould number 183. The inside of the the stein's lid is marked ALWE 92% ZINN.
Item ID: A2510
Only 1 available, and 4 other shoppers are interested. Don't miss out!