Beautiful piece! We are offering this wonderfully Antique Glazed Jug which measures 11 3/4" tall and is 24" around. This piece is in great condition with no chips, cracks or fractures.
In 1878, Jacob Fisher bought the Lyons Pottery outright from Lang. Fisher's daughter (Louise) and son assisted with the business affairs. It was during this time period that the business flourished like never before. Jacob Fisher had 2 of his own canal boats used to bring in clay from NJ and Long Island and Albany. These boats also delivered finished wares all along the canal. Wares were also distributed all over the northern counties of NYS bordering Lake Ontario from Syracuse to Buffalo by horse drawn wagons. The pottery grew in size and production during this time. Hundreds of pieces of stoneware could be seen stacked on the docks of the canal awaiting shipment. It was at this time that approximately 18 potters were spinning their wares. By 1896 the Fisher Pottery was the largest in the state. Around 1902, Jacob Fisher retired and decided to close the pottery because of increased competition from molded clay vessels being manufactured and distributed from Ohio. The crocks and jugs being mass produced in Ohio were attractive, cheaper, and could be produced 10 times faster than the hand made potters could produce. This was the downfall of all the Potteries in Western NY. Once Jacob Fisher closed the factory, some of the men who worked there decided to give it one last attempt. They re-opened the factory a few hundred yards down the road in what is now the Lyons Town Barn, and started to turn out stoneware. This business was called the "Co-Operative Pottery Co.". This noble effort didn't last very long. A few years later, after a fire destroyed a portion of the Pottery, the company closed it's doors.
Item ID: 3640