This diminutive alms box, in pine, is just 8 1/2" wide by 6 7/8" deep and 5 1/2" tall. Although plain in appearance it has dovetailed construction and a lift lid nicely pinned between raised sections of the two sides.
The condition is good, showing evidence of an earlier white paint that has been stripped. The two hinge points have been broken but with old, good repairs. The modern screw eye was added to allow display.
Written in pencil on the bottom is "Alms Box." "Old Run Mennonite Church" The Old Mennonite Church of Deep Run, PA was founded in 1746. In 1849 a group of members split off and formed the Deep Run West Mennonite Church. History of the church is thin but it appears that at that time the original church changed its name to Deep Run East and remains today located at 350 Kellers Church Road, Perkasie, PA. If the inscription is to be believed, the alms box dates to before the split in 1849. The construction of the box would support this. This is a nice piece of Bucks County history.
Item ID: FR0330
2 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List. Don't miss out!
|Shipping/Handling:||To Be Determined|
Price for shipping to USA