Here is an amazing example of Crown Milano art glass by Mount Washington c. 1890. The gourd shape of the vase is melon ribbed and finished with a frill pulled back rim. The base glass is a satin finish in pale yellow ivory with a tint of peach to the top. The décor is intricate consisting of cascading branches of oak leaves and egg corns. The pattern is in fall colours of reddish brown and green, blended with gold. The branches and each element of the décor is outlined in gold. This is simply an exquisite piece of antique art glass.
Dimensions: Approximately 22 cm (8 ½ in) tall.
Condition: Very good. No chips, cracks or repairs. Some wear to the applied colours are consistent with age.
Signature: Very difficult to photograph is a shiny Crown Milano logo stamp on the base with the number 378.
A Note About the Manufacturer:
Mount Washington was the largest producer of American Victorian art glass. They created a splendid assortment of innovative glass products. At the height of their success, these products were sold in fine stores throughout the United States. Their glass creations can be found in major museums and private collections worldwide.
The Mount Washington Glass Works began operating in 1837 in the Mount Washington area of South Boston, Massachusetts and continued operating there until the factory was closed in 1870. During these years, the firm produced mostly utilitarian glassware. Shortly after the closure, the factory owner, William Libbey, moved the operation to New Bedford, Massachusetts where the Mount Washington Glass Works operated from 1870 until 1894 producing, perhaps, the most diverse and beautiful assortment of American art glass of the Victorian era.
Brilliant cut glass was one of the first items of production at the factory. Mount Washington manufactured this ware from 1871 until the late 1890s. These items were very expensive and geared to the "carriage trade" market. Among the first art glass produced by the factory was decorated white opal glass. This was a mainstay of the company's production. In 1884, Mount Washington began using the name, Amberina, for new glassware they were producing. This glass was made by adding gold to an amber glass mixture. Following a lawsuit with the New England Glass Company, which was producing similar ware under the same name, Mount Washington was forced to use a different name: Rose Amber and on May 25, 1886, they were issued a patent.
On December 15, 1885, Mount Washington was granted a patent for a glassware called Burmese. It is a homogeneous heat sensitive glass, shading from lemon yellow to salmon pink. The shapes created during the early production of Burmese were generally simple forms, but later production, probably after 1888, expanded to more exotic forms. Chief designer, Mr. Shirley had thought that Burmese had resembled the sunrise so he wanted to create a glass that resembled the sunset. He responded by inventing Mount Washington Peachblow which was a commercial failure. The company ceased marketing it in 1888.
Acid-etched cameo glass was also part of the Mount Washington product line. This was a cased glass of two layers. The lining is usually white and the outer layer pink, yellow, blue or green. In 1886, Mount Washington began producing a richly decorated white opal glass with a satin finish called Albertine which at some point, was renamed Crown Milano. Other Mount Washington glassware included Royal Flemish, Napoli, and Verona. From 1880 until 1894, Mount Washington supplied glass to the Pairpoint Manufacturing Corporation to be used with the silverplate which they produced. These two companies worked cooperatively until 1894 when Pairpoint purchased the Mount Washington Glass Works. After the merger, Mount Washington operated as a division of Pairpoint and produced glass, including the glass used for Pairpoint reverse painted and puffy lamp shades, until at least 1915.
Item ID: 6257
2 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List. Don't miss out!
|Shipping/Handling:||To Be Determined|
Price for shipping to USA