This Devez cameo vase has an oriental style in both its shape and scenery. The vase extends from a deep blue at the base to a golden brown-orange at the tip. The depicted scene encompasses palm trees and a mountainous background overlooking what may be an oasis. The scene surrounds the entire vase.
Reference: A very similar piece is shown in the Rago Arts and Auction Center, Fine American and European Art Glass Auction catalogue of 2006, page 148 (see photo).
Dimensions: Approximately 26 cm (10 in) height.
Signature: Devez in cameo at the base.
Condition: Very good, no chips, cracks or repairs; some pull marks can be scene in the décor with bubble inclusions. The most notable pull mark is evident on the top of the vase (see photos).
A Note About the Manufacturer:
Glass bearing the names "deVez," "Mont Joye,", "Legras" and "Pantin" was produced by the same company. E. S. Monot at La Villette near Paris founded this company in 1850. In 1859, known as "Cristallerie de La Villette", the company was transferred to Pantin, a suburb of Paris. After F. Stumpf joined the company in 1868, it became "Monot & Stumpf."
In 1873 Monot's son joined the company and the name changed to "Monot, Père et Fils, et Stumpf." About 1894 the company became known as "Stumpf, Touvier, Violette & Cooye," and the same company produced "Pantin".
Shortly before 1910, the firm was joined by Camille Tutre de Varreaux who became artistic director. All vases produced under de Varreaux are signed "deVez.". His pieces were carefully executed in two or three layers with acid cutting and reflect adventurous designs of landscapes, florals, and animals.
Separately, August J. F. Legras started work in glass in 1864 at Saint-Denis near Paris, and continued production until about 1914. He produced a variety of art-glass, much of which can be classified as cameo glass. Some of his glass is of good quality with multi-layered and well-cut glass; but much of his work is also of simple acid cutting with decorative work. His being awarded the Grand Prix at the Universal Exhibition in Paris in 1900 evidences that he produced some fine glass with originality.
Legras' Art Nouveau glass was marked either "Legras", "L & Cie", "Sargel" (Legras backwards), "Leg." (enamelled) or "Mont Joye & Cie".
After World War I, Legras merged with Pantin to form Verreries et Cristalleries de St Denis et Pantin Réunies, It continued to use the "Legras" signature on some enamelled or acid-etched vases during 1920s & 30s.
Another shopper has this item in their Cart or Wish List.
|Shipping/Handling:||To Be Determined|
Price for shipping to USA