Noritake Nippon Hand Painted Moriage Floral Tiered Dish
"In 1876 Baron Ichizaemon Morimura IV formed a trading company called Morimura Kumi (Morimura Brothers) with offices in Tokyo, and a retail and wholesale office in New York for the export of traditional Japanese products such as chinaware, curios, paper lanterns and other gift items. Ichizaemon Morimura VI was a visionary and a supporter of a modernization of Japan. One thing he clearly saw was the business potential if the quality of Japanese art and skilled craft could be adapted to the needs and taste of the American consumer. A visit by Ichizaemon Morimura IV to the World Fair in Paris helped shape the idea of trying to manufacture a high quality, modern, western style dinnerware for export. On January 1, 1904 the Nippon Toki Kaisha Ltd - the forerunner to the present Noritake Company - was formed. The factory was located near a source of good and plentiful raw materials in a community rich with skilled potters. The site was the small village of Noritake, near Nagoya, the center of Japan's ceramic production, on the main island of Honshu. The first Japanese registry for a Noritake back stamp is reported as 1908 for use in Japan. In 1910 the first china products from the new company could leave Japan for the U.S. The first reported U.S. registry for a Noritake back stamp for importing is 1911. With the 1st World War came the understanding of the need for industrialization. The company soon undertook the production of necessary machinery for the use in its potteries and could, by the early 1920's, introduce assembly line techniques allowing for mass production of high quality, yet affordable, dinnerware."
This exquisite Nippon tiered dish, produced by Noritake circa 1920, features a stunning hand painted rose border in pink and green with gold moriage accenting against creamy white ground.
Condition is superb, with virtually no wear to paint or gold trim, free from chipping, cracking, crazing, discoloration or restoration.
Marked with the Morimura wreath backstamp used circa 1911 - 1921.
H 2.5", outer D 9.5", inner D 4.75", base 6".