Originally formed as the Cleveland Pottery and Tile Company by designer, potter and teacher R. Guy Cowan, the Cowan Pottery Studio, which operated from 1913 to 1931, produced outstanding and technically extraordinary pieces, which brought international recognition to American Art Pottery. The expertise of the talented artists and chemists in residence allowed them to create distinctly modern forms and glazes during its short-lived existence that have rarely been reproduced.
This large and immaculate Cowan Pottery vase, shape #V-29 produced circa 1930, is glazed in Cowan's intricate "Azure" matrix glaze, a high gloss combination of dark turquoise and light green, and features an elegantly simple form with gently flaring rim and pedestal base.
This rarely seen vase is in superb condition, free from chipping, cracking, crazing or restoration.
Marked with die-impressed Cowan logo.
H 8", rim 8", base 5.5".