In 1867, following the end of the Civil War, Edward Bennett sold his interest in the Franklin Flint Glass Works of Philadelphia to his partner William T. Gillinder's two sons, James and Frederick. The new partnership was called Gillinder & Sons.
Gillinder pressed glass has been admired by collectors due to the remarkable detail in the carving and controlled acid etching of the molded designs. As early as 1873, the factory had utilized etching acids. "Lion" was the first of these characteristic patterns. Introduced after the American Centennial Exhibition of 1876, the "Lion" pattern was available with lions posed in differing positions as finials on covers or as figural stems.
This excellent Gillinder & Sons celery vase or spooner circa 1878 features a clear glass vessel with petal rim atop a frosted stem adorned with a trio of regal lions heads and braid-trimmed base.
Condition is excellent, free from chipping, cracking or major abrasions.
H 8.5", rim 4", base 3.75".
Item ID: 075
Another shopper has this item in their Cart or Wish List.
|Shipping/Handling:||To Be Determined|
Price for shipping to USA