The emerald green enamel combined with the shimmering brass arabesques give this little box a jewel-like presence. It is French, from Paris and dates from 1900-1910.
This type of object was sold in the elegant stores of the Palais Royal in Paris to the traveling nobility of the era. Beautiful, commemorative items were popular, depicting favored monuments of the "city of light".
The much-loved Église St. Sulpice (Latin Quarter, Paris) is carefully depicted and placed under an oval glass of this beautiful little box. The beautiful church played a great part in history from the 17th century forward: (the Marquis de Sade and Charles Baudelaire were baptized there, it hosted the marriage of Victor Hugo to Adèle Foucher (1822) and Louise Élisabeth de Bourbon and Louise Élisabeth d'Orléans, grand daughters of Louis XIV and Madame de Montespan are buried there).
The image of St. Sulpice is lovely, the colors remain bright. The image and glass covering are raised up from the lid of the box by a fine brass casing sitting atop a twisted brass oval ring. Intricate pieces of brass have been hand cut and tooled, then set into emerald green enamel on the lid and sides of the box. The lid has a tooled brass frame encasing the edge. A lovely "S" clasp closes the lid The box stands on four adorable "bell" shaped feet with fluted edges. It is in very good and solid condition.
The inside of the box is lined with rose pink silk with fancy braid trim. The bottom of the box is also lined with rose pink silk. The box measures: 2 3/4" wide, 1 3/4" deep and 1 3/4" tall. The interior measures: 1/2" deep.
With the brilliant emerald green color and glimmering gilt, it is one of the loveliest boxes we have seen.
Item ID: MT443
Only 1 available, and 4 other shoppers are interested. Don't miss out!