Antique mahogany chest of drawers. This is your chance to obtain a rare large piece of top quality antique English furniture made by 'Warings' of Liverpool, England.
This beautiful piece dates back to the early 1900's and is branded on the top inside of each drawer with 'Warings' next to the locks which are made for 'Waring & Gillow'.
It has a large top drawer which could possibly have been used to store a top hat and has 2 small drawers on each side. Below are 3 large drawers graduating in size.
There is some wear behind the bails of some of the drawer handles and there is a small ring mark on top as shown in the pictures. There is also some wear to the edges and feet and some minor wear throughout. All hardware is original but there are no keys.
Over all this fabulous piece is in strong, solid condition with only age appropriate flaws.
Dimensions: width 48", depth 23", height 48".
Shipping within the contiguous USA only.
The firm of Gillows of Lancaster can be traced back to Robert Gillow in 1730, having served an apprenticeship as a joiner. Following his death in 1772, the business was continued by his two sons, Richard and Robert.
In 1764 a London branch of Gillows was established at 176 Oxford Road, now Oxford Street, by Thomas Gillow and William Taylor. The firm rapidly established a reputation for supplying high quality furniture to the richest families in the country.
During the final years of the 19th century the company ran into financial difficulty and from 1897 began a loose financial arrangement with Waring of Liverpool, an arrangement legally ratified by the establishment of Waring and Gillow in 1903.
Warings of Liverpool was founded by John Waring, who arrived in the city from Belfast in 1835 and established a wholesale cabinet making business. He was succeeded by his son Samuel James Waring who rapidly expanded the business during the 1880's, furnishing hotels and public buildings throughout Europe. Gillows had established a reputation for the outfitting of luxury yachts and liners, including the Royal Yacht "Victoria and Albert", liners "Lusitania", "Heliopolis" and "Cairo", RMS "Queen Mary" (1934) and "Queen Elizabeth" (1946) for Cunard.