I have six porcelain blanc de chine statues of the seven lucky gods of Japan. I am dating these to the 1920's and this is my opinion. However, to avoid any confusion I am listing this as made in the 20th century. The base on the bottom of the statues which have very small holes, typical of early japanese porcelain manufacturing. The height of these items are from 4" to 5".
These statues are very well executed and the details are fabulous. I believe the one that is missing is Fukurokuju as I have never seen him with a fan in his hand but have seen Jurojin with a fan in his hand. Both Fukurokuju and Jurojin are said to inhabit the same body. Fukurokuju is known as a hermit and jurojin is known to love wine and woman.
1.Ebisu - God of the Ocean, Fishing Folks, Good Fortune, Honest Labor, Commerce. Virtue,Fair Dealing. Holds fish in his hand.
2. Daikokuten - God of Earth, Agriculture, Farmers, Wealth, Prosperity, Flood Control, The Kitchen. Virtue, Fortune. Has bag of rice.
3. Benzaiten - Goddess of Music, Beauty, Eloquence, Literature, Art. Virtue Amiability. Only female among the seven gods.
4. Hotei - Budai, Chinese Sage. God of Contentment and Happiness. Virtue,Magnanimity. Holding baby
5. Fukurokuju - Hermit Sage God of Wealth, Happiness, Longevity, Virility, and Fertility. (not included)
6.Jurojin - God of Wisdom,Longevity. Virtue, Longevity. Holding fan. (Fukurokuju and Jurojin are said to inhabit the same body. the pair represent two different manifestations of the same deity.)
7. Bishamonten - God of Treasure, Wealth, Defender of the Nation. Wears Warrior uniform.
Note: The member's of the Seven Lucky Gods have varied over time. In the beginning, Benzaiten was not a member of the group. One later grouping included both Kichijôten and Benzaiten, but excluded Fukurokuju. In modern Japan, the group nearly always consists of Ebisu, Daikokuten, Bishamonten, Benzaiten, Hotei, Jurojin, and Fukurokuju.
Victorian Glass, Porcelain, Chinese & Japanese Treasures, Jewelry and the Unexpected.
Layaway is available. Layaway requires initial payment of 25%.Balance to be paid within 30-60 days depending on item.