This set is an example of a peculiarly glazed reproduction item that may be found described as Victorian Flow Blue or Blue and White Transferware. It is not old. This type of heavy pottery has been sold for the past few years by reproduction wholesalers. Pieces now can generally be found in many gift shops and 'antique' malls for decorative uses. They should never be represented as antiques, nor even vintage, as most examples will have been made so recently.
Here are some of the aspects about this item that can help to identify it as a contemporary piece, intended to appeal to collectors of Flow (or Flo) Blue:
1. It is not fully glazed. There are unglazed areas visible on the foot rim. Nearly all authentic blue transfer ware pieces will be fully glazed, since they were intended for actual use.
2. The foot rim is also very thick and chunky in appearance. The standing rims of antique Flow Blue items were seldom wider than 1/8 inch.
3. This piece looks to be pottery, not vitrified stoneware, even though the mark says, `Ironstone.'
4. The mark on the bottom is very large, covering quite a bit of the bottom area of the piece. Most old marks are almost never over 1 inch in size (about the size of a quarter).
5. Although the mark on this item looks like a rendition of the Royal Arms, which tends to suggest age and importance, in actuality it is a newly created mark that won't be found in any book covering the marks of historic makers of actual stoneware.
6. Note the overall slightly greenish cast to the glaze. This glaze color is indicative of modern manufacture.
See the Favorite Links section for a page with information on identifying new 'Flow Blue.'
The Pitcher stands 8 ¾ inches high, overall width from edge of spout to handle is 9 ½ inches and the base is 4 ¾ inches in diameter. The bowl measures 12 inches in diameter, stands 4 ¾ inches high and the base of the bowl is 5 ¼ inches in diameter.
Item ID: 2007RP00032
Illustrations and Characteristics for Help in Identifying Many Confusing New Items
Item listings in this shop are intended to be viewed for educational purposes, only. Items in this shop are not for sale.