This pitcher is another example of a peculiarly glazed type of reproduction item that may be described as Victorian Flow Blue Transferware or sometimes as 'Blue Willow.' It is not old. It is not 'Ironstone.' This type of heavy pottery has been sold for the past few years by several reproduction wholesale sources. Pieces now can generally be found in many gift shops and 'antique' malls for decorative uses. They should never be represented as antiques, nor even vintage, as most examples will have been made only recently.
This piece is similar in size to the pitcher shown in the two-piece set in listing #2007RP00032 here in this shop, this one may also have originally been sold with a matching bowl. The main transfer design is identical, with only the border design at the top of the pitcher differing. The shape is different. This article may have been made with the intent of having it appeal more specifically to collectors of old Blue Willow transferware, rather than to collectors of Flow Blue.
Some of the aspects about this item that can help to identify it as a contemporary piece:
1. It is not fully glazed. There are unglazed areas visible on the foot rim. Nearly all authentic transfer ware pieces will be fully glazed, since they were intended for table use.
2. The foot rim is also very thick and chunky in appearance. The standing rims of antique items were seldom wider than 1/8 inch.
3. This piece looks to be pottery, not vitrified stoneware, even though the mark suggests it to be ‘Ironstone.’
4. The mark on the bottom is very large, covering quite a bit of the bottom area of the piece. Most old marks are almost never over 1 inch in size (about the size of a quarter).
5. Although the mark on this item looks like a rendition of the Royal Arms, which tends to suggest age and importance, in actuality it is a newly created mark that won't be found in any book covering the marks of historic makers of actual stoneware.
6. Note the greenish cast to the glaze. This glaze effect is indicative of modern manufacture.
See the Favorite Links section for a page with information on identifying new 'Flow Blue.'
This pitcher is about 8 inches tall but other sizes in the same style may be available.
Item ID: 2007RP000169
Illustrations and Characteristics for Help in Identifying Many Confusing New Items
Item listings in this shop are intended to be viewed for educational purposes, only. Items in this shop are not for sale.