This stereoscopic card is of the Gol Stave Church, a 12th Century stave church originally from Gol, Hallingdal, Norway, but now now located in the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History at Bygdøy (or Bygdo)in Oslo. The church was acquired by King Oscar II, who financed its relocation and restoration, which was overseen by architect Waldemar Hansteen and completed in 1885.
The card is Keystone View Company card No. 25626 circa 1900 and made for the stereoscope viewer so popular at the turn of the century. The card measures the standard 7" by 3.5".
It is in very good condition. On its back is a thorough history of Norway's stave churches in general and the specifics of this little church's odyssey.
Item ID: 1118