Vintage late 1940s into early 1950s Skinner rayon crepe fabric features a wonderful Italianate novelty print in a pastel colorway: Artistic “sketches” of statues, architectural features, urns of flowers, and fountains in pink, black, white, and brown on a mint green ground.
There are 3 pieces available, certainly enough for a peplum top, likely also for a matching skirt or other separate of your choice. The longest piece is 70”, just 2” shy of 2 yards; the smaller pieces are 42” and 41” long, and the width from selvage to selvage is 39” on all three.
The fabric came from the estate of two seamstresses, and all three pieces have paper store tags indicating that these were the original lengths purchased: 2 yds. 1 ½ yds, and 1 1/8 yd. The smallest piece of fabric has the company name, “Skinner”, woven into the selvage.
Founded in 1848 by William Skinner in Holyoke, Massachusetts, Skinner introduced the practice (around the turn of the 20th century) of weaving the company name into a fabric’s selvage as a consumer protection and proprietary measure. Their famous slogan, “Look for the Name in the Selvage” began to appear in the 1910s and was still a regular feature in ads in the 1940s and 1950s.
Fabric is in excellent condition, clean and with no colorfade, though the two longest pieces both have scissor nicks at the corners on one end (see photos #7 and #8).
Proud Member of the VFG Vintage Fashion Guild
Item ID: drb62
3 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List.