Vintage mid- to late 1950s navy silk repp thistle bow tie from from legendary luxury men's haberdasher A. Sulka & Company features exquisitely woven red and white designs which resemble tiny tic-tac-toe boards.
Label reads "A.Sulka & Company, 661 Fifth Ave., New York, Paris, Chicago, London, Palm Beach"; 661 Fifth Avenue was the address of the company's flagship Manhattan store. An attached tag states that the fabric is "Pure Silk". The bow tie measures 31.5" long and 2" across the widest part of the thistle.
Amos Sulka, a travelling salesman from Pennsylania, opened his first retail store with custom shirtmaker Leon Wormser in 1895; in the course of the 20th century, the store's notable customers included the Duke of Windsor, Winston Churchill, Henry Ford, Clark Gable, Rudolf Valentino, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and members of both the Kennedy and Rockefeller clans. Sulka opened its Paris store in 1904, its London store in the 1920s, and added locations in various American cities after Amos Sulka's death in 1946. Humorist Art Buchwald once joked that "[Sulka's neckties] are made from specially bred silkworms which are fed on specially grown mulberry trees that have the distinctive Sulka label carved right into the trunks."
Peter Lynch, the president of the Sulka company in the 1950s, commented in 1959 that the ratio of 1 in 10 men who prefer to wear a bow tie had remained a fixed one despite the changing styles in neckwear through the decades. He also reported that, despite the trend towards more casual dress as the 60s encroached, Sulka ties were worn by "just about everyone who is anyone", and had appeared in virtually every photograph of an important diplomatic meeting in the prior 50 years.
This elegant and timeless Sulka bow tie is in excellent condition, with no flaws to note.
Proud Member of the VFG Vintage Fashion Guild
Item ID: aust96
If you were the pending buyer of this item, go to My Account to view, track and check payment for this item.