One of the oldest private schools in the Philadelphia area, the Germantown Academy was founded at the Green Tree Inn in December 1759. Its campus was established at the corner of Greene and Schoolhouse Lanes, where it stands to this day, though it is now occupied by the Philadelphia School for the Deaf. The Academy moved to a new campus in Fort Washington in 1965.
This Wedgewood Queensware plate in the Queen shape features a transfer-printed central image of the Academy's original building flanked by the headmasters houses (originally, the school had two headmasters, one German and one English), printed in sepia. The rim is decorated with flowers and foliage.
The plate is 10.5" in diameter.
Condition: as new, no wear or damage.
Mark: impressed Wedgwood marks, dated 1958. Black printed mark reading "Germantown Academy / 1759-1959 / Original Building and German and English Headmasters' Houses".
We have six of these plates, Price is per plate.
Item ID: 3162