For over a century, Wedgwood has produced "commemorative" transferware plate in Queen's Ware for the American market. They are made for everything from special events to historic places. They are also made in sets for colleges and universities.
These plates, on the Edme shape, were made for Beaver College, outside of Philadelphia, in 1953.
The college started as the Beaver Female Seminary a century earlier at the other end of the state, in Beaver, Pennsylvania. In 1925, it moved to Jenkinstown, PA and in 1928, it moved to its current location in Glenside with the purchase of the Grey Towers Castle, the estate of William Welsh Harrison, which was designed by the great Philadelphia architect, Horace Trumbauer, in 1893. In 2001 the school attained university accreditation and changed its name to "Arcadia University".
We have five plates in this series: Porte Cochere - Grey Towers(2); Grey Towers - The Gate House (2); Murphy Hall - Clock Tower; Grey Towers - The Castle(2); Eugenia Fuller Atwood Library.
The plates are 10.375" in diameter,
Condition: one or two have a couple marks from stacking or use, otherwise fine, no wear or damage.
Mark: impressed Wedgwood marks; some plates have impressed date codes for 1953. Four plates have printed informational marks, indicating that these were made for the school's centennial. The library plate has different marks and was added to the series later.
Please indicate which plate or plates you'd like when ordering.