Fine piece of Wedgewood Queens Ware transfer printed in blue. This souvenir plate was made for Jones, McDuffee & Stratton Co., who were the main importers of Wedgwood at the turn of the 20th century.
This plate, inside its floral border, features an engraving of the Lamb Tavern on Washington Street in Boston. It was built in 1748 and torn down in 1845. Over the course of its existence, it was known as The Lamb and as The White Lamb. It was demolished to make was for the Adams House Hotel.
The plate is 9.25" in diameter.
Condition is very good: there's a tiny (0.125") glaze chip on the rim at 4 o'clock. The plate is crazed, there is wear to the surface and some fat staining to the back.
Marked on the back with an impressed WEDGWOOD mark. Printed marks reads (top to bottom): Site of the Adams House 1945 Lamb Tavern 1746 Copyright 1895 / Jones, McDuffee and Stratton sole importers / Wedgwood / Etruria / England.
Item ID: 1773