A fine piece of Wedgewood Queens Ware transfer printed in blue. This souvenir plate was made for Wright, Tyndale & Van Doren, one of the better jewelry and gift shops in the city in the 19th century.
This plate, inside its Rococo-inspired floral border, features an engraving of the "William Penn Cottage", known today as the Letitia Street House. It was built in 1715 on land originally owned by William Penn's daughter.
In 1883, it was moved from its original location between Front and 2nd off of Chestnut Street to a hill in Fairmount Park. The move was based on the (sadly erroneous) belief that William Penn had stayed in the cottage on one of his visits to Philadelphia.
This plate date to between 1883 and 1891.
The plate is 9.25" in diameter.
Condition is excellent: light wear, no chips, cracks or other damage.
Marked on the back: Wm Penn's Cottage Letitia Court / Wright Tyndale & Van Doren Philadelphia. Impressed WEDGWOOD mark, which dates this plate to before 1891.