The first Rosenthal company, a factory decorating porcelain, was established in 1879 in southern Germany. Founded by Philip Rosenthal in Erkerseuth, near Selv, Bavaria, it was relocated to Selb in 1890.
This lovely hand painted cabinet plate was created in a home-studio on a white-ware blank produced by Rosenthal. The decoration consists of bunches of shaded purple violet blossoms hiding among large shaded green and tannish green leaves against a muted background of soft pastel blue, apricot, violet and cream. The scalloped, embossed edge is adorned with a wide gold band.
The plates measures 9" across and the blank pattern is "Monbijou". It is stamped in green, under-glaze, with the Rosenthal mark, circa 1898-1906. Signed and dated by the artist as a gift at that time, "1906 - L Madisen from Marie Yerbury".