Thomas Hawkes established his factory in Corning, New York, in 1880. By the end of the century, his company was renowned for the finest in cut glass production with many beautiful patterns to his credit. In the early 1900's, Hawkes purchased many crystal and colored blanks from the Steuben Glass Works, under the direction of Frederick Carder. Steuben blanks decorated at the Hawkes shop were sold as Hawkes products, with no credit given to the Steuben name.
This lovely copper-wheel engraved crystal compote, circa 1910, probably was produced by Steuben because of its wonderful clarity and substantial weight. The bowl proper is slightly oval in shape measuring about 6 1/4" by 5 1/2". The elongated rim flares out at the ends to create an outstanding shape measuring 11" in length, 7" in width and 3 3/4" in height. The base of the bowl slopes downward to the round base which gives the illusion that the compote is resting on a low standard. The base measures 4 1/2" across. The underside of the flared rim is engraved on each end with a beautiful designed garland of roses with trailing leaves which meet each other. Toward the base of the bowl and on the base is a circle of small engraved ovals creating borders as well as accents for the entire piece. The base is acid marked with the company logo which is a trefoil from enclosing a hawk in each of the two bottom lobes with a fleur-de-lis in the center with the word "Hawkes" underneath. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; some wear marks on the underside of the base, which is normal on cut crystal. Wonderful design and form.