J.H. Brauer emigrated to the United States from Germany in 1890 initially settling in New Jersey. By 1902 he was in Chicago decorating for Pickard and by 1903 he was advertising his own studio operating from his home. His organization grew slowly, but included many prominent artist of this era. The business closed in 1926, a year after his death.
The beautiful hand painted cabinet plate, circa 1910, measures 8 1/4" across. Decorated with branches of pastel colored apple blossoms in hues of light-to-medium-to-darker pink, accented with variegated green and blue-gray leaves. The muted background is a combination of cream, yellow, pink and blue with a gold rim. The plate is signed "M Boch", a shortened version for "Max Boch". The plate is stamped with the "Brauer" red mark #4, circa 1910 - 1916, and the china manufacturer "H & Co. - Selb Bavaria" for Heinrich & Co. founded in 1904. There are no cracks, chips, enamel wear or repairs. A great Brauer studio example.