The Rogers Brothers - Asa, Simeon and William established a shop in Hartford, Ct. in the 1840's. In 1847 when they had perfected the electroplating process, they started marking products with their name. In 1862 they became part of Meriden Britannica Company, in Meriden, Ct., which was later renamed the International Silver Company. Their vintage or grape pattern which was introduced in 1904 became one of their most popular lines of flatware. This extremely scarce bread knife has a hollow handle and measures 14 3/4" in length. The cutting blade has a serrated edge and is either tempered stainless or cutlery steel. The blade is stamped "1847 Rogers Bros". The silver-plate is in excellent condition with only minor marks from careful usage over the years.