Vintage World War Two United States Army Uniform Shoulder Insignia - Persian Gulf Service - Soviet Union Lend Lease
The Mission of the Persian Gulf Service Iran and Iraq was to assure the supply of U.S. Lend-Lease war material to the Soviet Union. In September 1941, two U.S. units were established in Iran, one to assist with Lend-Lease, and another to provide construction support. In August 1942 the combined Iran and Iraq command was re-designated the Persian Gulf Service.
Between 1942 and 1945, United States Persian Gulf Service personnel in Iran and Iraq helped to equip Russia with 192 thousand trucks and thousands of aircraft, combat vehicles, tanks, weapons, ammunition and petroleum products. Army engineers transformed the camel paths into a highway for trucks and improved the railroad with its more than 200 tunnels so trains could carry tanks and tons of other heavy equipment over the mountains. The Command, in conjunction with British and Soviet units, also provided security for the Teheran Conference in the fall of 1943 between United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin in Teheran, the capital city of Iran.
Patches from the Army's overseas commands are among the most distinctive -- and unheralded -- shoulder patches of World War II. They are colorful, in most cases short-lived, and showcase an armed force operating on a global scale.
This insignia was worn by the Persian Gulf Service forces in 1943 and which remained in use throughout the War. The official design was approved is described as follows - a green shield, 3 1/4 inches in height, with a 7-pointed white star above a red scimitar fimbriated in white bendwise, point up. The red scimitar, from the flag of Iran (or Persia) represented the warlike spirit of the ancient Persians signifying that this is a combat outfit when and if the occasion presents itself. The white seven pointed star, taken from the flag of the Kingdom of Iraq, represents purity and religion of the Middle East. Each point represents one of the fourteen provinces of the Iraqi nation. The green color of the shield denotes the agriculture of Persia in olden days, and also stands for Islam, which is the religion of both Iran and Iraq. The colors red, green and white are found in the flags of both countries.
Patch was acquired here in Connecticut, a center of textile production during the Second World War. The shield is 3" high x 2" wide, and appears to be made of machine-stitched twill.
CONDITION: The patch is in excellent condition, and whether or not is was actually worn has not been determined. However, it does not glow when examined under ultraviolet light, and appears to be made of World War II vintage all-natural fiber material. All significant flaws are visible in photos.
Item ID: 45-0430K
This item is Pending a Sale so cannot be purchased at this time.
Exclusive Ruby Lane
Member since Jan 2003
New London, CT
Price for shipping to USA
Payment Methods We Accept
- Personal Check
- Money Order
If you are the pending buyer of this item, go to My Account to view, track and pay for this item.
Other items from Connecticut Yankee Antiques and Collectibles you may be interested in: