This post card is of the Post Headquarters at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis, Mo. Jefferson Barracks was officially established on October 23, 1826. The fort was named in honor of former president Thomas Jefferson. The earliest role for Jefferson Barracks was to house the soldiers protecting the settlers from Indian attacks. Jefferson Barracks was used for many years as a staging area, post and military hospital from the early days of the frontier until after World War II. Jefferson Barracks has a reputation for being one of the most haunted places in St. Louis, and the post headquarters building is no exception.
During the Civil War, and for years after, soldiers guarded the train depot and the railroad tracks located along the Mississippi River. They also guarded the post headquarters building that was located high on the bluff above the depot. The Headquarters building, also known as Building 1, was constructed in 1900. Stories about the Headquarters building continue to be told and stories range from encounters with the ghost of an old Confederate Civil War-era officer to strange sounds that cannot logically be explained. Recently refurbished to its former glory by the Missouri Air National Guard, the Post Headquarters or Building 1 plays host to a multitude of ghostly encounters that have taken place both inside and outside of the building.
This card has not been mailed, but has been addressed in pencil. The card back has "published expressly for S. H. Knox and Co. Made in U.S.A."
Item ID: 2579A