This is a RPPC Photograph of "Scenic Grove Resort in Baileys Harbor, Wisconsin". It is a very Good image of Scenic Grove Resort. It measures 3 3/8' by 5 3/8". The congregation at Immanuel Lutheran Church, Baileys Harbor will celebrate it's 70th Anniversary this year. Fifteen families met on May 1, 1892, to form the congregation and immediately afterward building operations began. The Church building was constructed by the church members, the workers cutting their own lumber and timbers from logs they took from their own woods, and hauling stones for the foundations from their own fields. These people did all their own carpenter and mason work. The first pastor was called and he began work on Oct 1, 1892. He was the rev. Immanuel Brackebusch, who also served the Zion Lutheran Church at Jacksonport. Some of the leading events which took place during these many years are as follows: 1892 - gifts of land for church site and for cemetery by Mrs. Wohltman and Mrs. John Oldenburg. 1893 - congregation incorporated and obtains its charter. 1914 - steeple added to first structure. 1923 - congregation withdraws from Wisconsin Synod, becoming independent. 1930 - congregation joins the English Evangelical Synod of the Northwest of the United Lutheran Church in America. 1931 - church building again improved, this time being moved, remodeled and enlarged. 1934 - congregation becomes self-supporting, requiring no further Mission Aid. 1955 - purchase of a parsonage. 1961 - purchase of " Scenic Grove Resort " property from the Anclam estate. 1961 - union parish formed with St. Paul's Lutheran Church of Fish Creek."
Item ID: RL-4353