Renwick Castle, Syracuse, NY (written on back of mount in old script pencil). Gems of American Scenery by Gates & Co., Watkins, NY. In 1852 Cornelius Tyler Longstreet, a successful clothing manufacturer, purchased 49 acres on the outskirts of Syracuse in a district known as "The Highlands". He hired architect James Renwick, later the designer of St. Patrick's Cathedral and the Smithsonian Institution, to build a "substantial, beautiful, and distinctive" home. Renwick Castle was Tudor Gothic in style and was modeled after the supposed ancestral home of Mrs. Longstreet. The Longstreet family lived in the castle from 1855 to 1867 but eventually became disenchanted living "far out in the country, cut off from town". Fortunately, Alonzo Chester Yates, Sr., a clothing merchant who had made his fortune in the Civil War, wished to upgrade his fine James Street home to a larger one reflecting his higher station in life. In April of 1867 Mr. Longstreet and Mr. Yates traded houses and the castle was renamed after its new owners. Improvements were lavished on Yates Castle making it a center of social life. His son, Alonzo, Jr., carried on this tradition of extravagance after his father's death until the million-dollar fortune was gone. In 1898 the house was emptied of its treasures and left deserted, standing vacant until 1900 when Mr. A. Lincoln Travis, the head of a private school for boys, changed Yates Castle into the Syracuse Classical School which ran until 1906. In 1905, after Syracuse University trustees voted to acquire the Yates Castle property, trustee Margaret Slocum Sage donated a sizeable sum to renovate the castle. In 1909 the Margaret Olivia Slocum Teachers College settled into Yates Castle where it remained until 1934 when the new Syracuse University School of Journalism moved in and it became known simply as The Castle. Time finally caught up with The Castle in 1953 when the University of the State of New York, which had taken over operation of the SU Medical School, announced plans for a new wing of the Medical School and the Castle was to be demolished to make way for it. On April 25, 1953 a farewell ball, complete with period costumes, was held at The Castle to say goodbye. By the spring of 1954 The Castle was gone. About VG to VG+ condition. Slt dirty, slt edgewear, vslt to slt light.
Alternative search terms: ["Stereograph","Stereographs","Stereo View","Stereo Views","Stereo Card","Stereo Cards","Stereo Image","Stereo Images","3D View","3D Views","3D Card","3D Cards","3D Image","3D Images","3D Photo","3D Photos","3D Photograph","3D Photographs"]
Another shopper has this item in their Cart or Wish List.
Selected Photography, Memorabilia, Advertising, and Toys for the Discerning Collector
Use block at top of page to search my shop.
|Shipping/Handling:||To Be Determined|
Price for shipping to USA